Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fairy Tale Week

Britni’s recent post brought up her love of fairy tales and I realized I am totally same. There is just something deeply interesting about fairy tales and what they convey about our society.

Going through my bookmarks and photos made me realize one post couldn’t really convey my thoughts on the subject. Instead of doing just a bunch of random posts, I thought it’d be cool to make next week fairy tale week.


All next week I’m gonna post about fairy tales in regards to some of the more sociological aspects (like how they reinforce gender stereotypes). I’ll also be posting random fairy tale art that I’ve come across and the like.

I don’t know exactly how this is all gonna work out with school and such. But I think it will be fun.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm looking forward to this!

    You can always write as you have time and schedule the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. As I said, I'm totally obsessed with the academic study of fairy tales.

    Here's a good, thought provoking piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/magazine/24princess.t.html

    And here, the 5 best books on the academic study of fairy tales: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204574469330250583264.html?mod=rss_Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, my links didn't work right.

    Here is a thought provoking piece regarding the Disney princesses.

    Here is the list of the 5 best books on the academic study of fairy tales.

    And Sociological Images is always great to check out for images and art regarding fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to both of you!

    And I will definitely check out the links. :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?