Thursday, November 12, 2009

Female Chauvinist Pigs

I just finished a really interesting book called Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy. Instead of writing a post as usual, I decided to do a video instead (even though I alsways sound slightly retarded in my videos).

This book is especially great because it brings up issues that I think a lot of women think about. Where do we draw the line between sexual expression and fitting into the stereotypical idea of the female sexual expression that was created by men? It’s a difficult question to answer but I think Levy raises the dialog to a new level.



I had to cut out seven minutes of the video because I started rambling, but you can read a great critique of the book and a more in depth conversation about some of the ideas Levy brings up here.

Part of what I had to cut out though, was the quote:
A tawdry, tarty, cartoonlike version of female sexuality has become so ubiquitous, it no longer seems particular. What was once regarded as a kind of sexual expression we now view as sexuality.

I really think this is one of the strongest points Levy makes in the book (as well as “raunchy doesn’t equal liberated”) so I wanted to mention it. Her chapter "Pigs in Training" is also really illuminating.

So check it out.

Edit: I re-uploaded the video and it's loads better.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book a few years ago and really liked it. I'm a sexually liberated woman that is still critical of "raunch culture" and the negative stereotypes that it continues to reinforce. Sexual liberation doe not mean buying into the same old stereotypes that have been perpetuated on women for years. It's almost like giving up and embracing them, beaucse you don't think things will ever change and you've given up fighting.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?