Saturday, November 28, 2009

I’m an American. We Don’t Have Czars in America.

I don’t want anyone who stumbles across my little corner of the internet to think that my goal is to bash republicans or conservatives here. Because even though I disagree with almost every single policy stance of the conservative party, I don’t hold anything against the people who make up that party. Deep down I think everyone is just doing what they think is right.

But if you're going to claim a position on a political matter, please please have some semblance of rational thought.



People say words like “spending,” “cap and trade,” and “cutting taxes” without really understanding what they’re saying. I feel like it’s as though they're just repeating a bunch of talking points from Rush Limbaugh and FOX News. I really wish people would learn that saying someone "loves freedom" doesn't actually mean anything. It's an empty phrase (like "pro-life") and it just makes you sound like a douche bag.

Here's another tip: If you don't actually know anything about cap and trade, don't bring up your agreement with someone else's stance on it. It doesn't make you look good.

Now lets be honest here, most people are dumb asses. Politics is a complicated multi-faceted arena and most people aren't up for the work (even I don't know nearly as much as I should). People tend to get into politically discussions and throw out random opinions when they think they don’t have to qualify their answers. Once someone sees through the fog off their bullshit and they're called on it, these people are left speechless and talking about "gotcha" questions. This is not some Palin-centric phenomenon. I can guarantee you that there are many people on both sides of the debate that vote for people just because they like them or find them charismatic.

The thing about Palin fans though, is I feel like this clueless-ness is made worse by her “folksy” persona. It's how proud they are when they admit they don't know her policies but would still vote for her.

That is just scary.

I do think one of the men in the middle of the video (the one wearing that horrible hunting camouflage outfit around 4:10) makes a surprisingly valid point actually; America isn’t the “great beacon of light” it once was considered to be. Whether or not President Obama should be blamed for that or if Sarah Palin can change that is up for debate though.

-Many thanks to Merda D'Artista for posting this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?